Each quarter, identify the big epics you would like to deliver in that quarter. These epics should be aligned with the business goals. The themes can be further broken down into user stories. This quarterly cycle planning can also be called release planning (2).
Planning quarterly helps synchronise the project with the business goals for the quarter. It is a good time to apply scope or time boxed planning
- Quarterly planning helps you focus on the big picture, and how your work fits in with the organization such as marketing roadmaps (1).
- Its a good time to identify any external constraints that may hinder the team in meeting its goals and trying to resolve them.
- It provides opportunity for the team to review and reflect on the last quarter.
- Andres, C. and Beck, K., 2004. Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change. Addison-Wesley Professional.
- Beck, K. and Fowler, M., 2001. Planning extreme programming. Addison-Wesley Professional.